Beach: Whale bay, Raglan
Tide: Directly on low tide
Weather: A storm was about to hit; wind was increasing & rain was starting, so not too nice!
- 1 Flip-Flop
- 1 Childs sports shoe
- 1 paper McDonalds bag (found on path to beach, but probably would end up on the beach anyway)
- 10 pieces of fishing rope, various sizes & lengths
- 1 piece of wetsuit neoprene
- 3 pieces of miscellaneous material
- 1 large plastic bag
- 3 pieces of carrier bag plastic
- 3 pieces of tape
- 2 large lumps of burnt & melted plastic
- 2 clothes pegs
- 1 drinks straw
- 2 lolly-pop sticks
- Part of a lighter
- 3 shotgun shells
- 2 pieces of pallet ties
- 2 parts of a pen
- Bit of fibreglass – probably from a boat
- 2 Large piece of black plastic, one with screws in (maybe from car /boat)
- 21 bottle tops
- 2 pieces of piping
- 6 large pieces of miscellaneous plastic
- 91 small pieces of miscellaneous plastic
- 3 pieces of foam / polystyrene
- I piece of glass
Beach status now: Clean –ish; I managed to pick up what I could find but the wind had picked up a lot by the end, which made it difficult to see anymore plastic. I do feel like the beach is cleaner than when I first started Today’s Catch, obviously there is still a lot to pick up, but when I leave the beach it looks clean, which makes me happy!
Amount recycled: 70% – all PET (1), PE-HD (2) and PP (5)
Amount re-used: The Clothes pegs went onto my washing line.
Amount to landfill: a small plastic bag of un-recyclable bits; including shoes and polystyrene.
Still trying to find a use of rope I find – any ideas?